NEBOSH National General Certificate
The NEBOSH National General Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety covers the main legal requirements for health and safety in the UK, identification and control of workplace hazards, and the practical application of this knowledge. The syllabus is mapped to the National Occupational Standards for Health and Safety owned by ENTO.
The qualification is divided into three units, each of which is assessed separately:
NGC 1 – Management of Health & Safety
- Element 1 – Foundation in Health & Safety
- Element 2 – Health & Safety Management Systems – Plan
- Element 3 – Health & Safety Management Systems – Do
- Element 4 – Health & Safety Management Systems – Check
- Element 5 – Health & Safety Management Systems – Act
GC 2 – Controlling workplace hazards
- Element 1 – Workplace Hazards and Risk Controls
- Element 2 – Transport Hazards and Risk Controls
- Element 3 – Musculoskeletal Hazards and Risk Controls
- Element 4 – Work Equipment Hazards and Risk Controls
- Element 5 – Electrical Safety
- Element 6 – Fire Safety
- Element 7 – Chemical and Biological Health Hazards and Risk Controls
- Element 8 – Physical and Psychological Health Hazards and Risk Controls
GC 3- Health and safety practical application
- A two-hour practical examination carried out in the candidate’s own workplace.
Who Should Attend?
The NEBOSH National General Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety is suitable for any managers, supervisors and employees that have input with daily H&S decision making. This course will equip individuals with a broad understanding of health and safety issues and the ability to manage risk effectively. Many people take the NEBOSH National General Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety as their first step toward a career in health and safety.
IOSH Managing Safely or equivalent is recommended, although not essential. Delegates without any previous health and safety knowledge are eligible to attend the course but should be aware that the assessment includes completion of a management report and two written exams. A minimum standard of English is required to undertake this qualification.
Assessment & Certification
Units NGC1 and GC2 are each assessed via a two-hour written examination. Each written examination consists of ten ‘short-answer’ questions and one ‘long-answer’ question. All questions are compulsory and candidate exam scripts are marked by an approved NEBOSH Examiner. Unit GC3 is a practical examination carried out in the candidate’s own workplace and must normally be completed within 14 days of the written examinations. The practical examination is internally assessed by Agility and externally moderated by NEBOSH.
Candidates will be awarded a unit certificate for each unit passed and upon successful completion of all three units (NGC1, GC2 and GC3), the overall qualification parchment will be issued.
Holders of the NEBOSH National General Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety are eligible for Associate Membership of the Institution of Occupational Safety and Health (IOSH). The qualification also meets the academic requirements for Technical Membership of IOSH (Tech IOSH) and Associate Membership of the International Institute of Risk and Safety Management (AIIRSM).
12 in stock
Read the latest news from Agility Risk & Compliance.