A health and safety management system is a legal requirement for any business with more than five employees.
Your health and safety management system is the first port of call for any health and safety-related queries. It should be regularly reviewed, maintained and updated by your competent person to ensure that you have taken all necessary precautions to provide your employees with a safe working environment and that you are compliant with the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974.
Implementing a health and safety management system will allow you to identify any risks or hazards throughout your business and proactively apply the necessary measures to provide a safe working environment.
Your Health and Safety management system should include:
- An organisational structure: This should define who within the company has responsibility for managing specific safety issues
- A health and safety induction handbook: Informing employees of the organisation’s health and safety arrangements, employees’ legal responsibilities, workplace-specific safety rules to be adhered to and an induction checklist
- An internal audit process: Including safety monitoring check sheets and safety records to demonstrate that key health and safety aspects are being undertaken, by whom, and when
- Records of risk assessments and training courses attended to maintain health and safety certifications
What are the legal requirements?
All UK businesses with more than 5 employees are legally required to have the following in place:
- A written, documented Health and Safety policy
- Suitable and sufficient Risk Assessments to cover all risks to both employees and non-employees
- Preventative and protective measures in place to reduce the risks outlined within the Risk Assessment
- A Health & Safety Management System in order to plan, organise, control, monitor and review your Risk Assessments and preventative measures
- Provide employees with appropriate Health Surveillance
- Have a designated competent Health and Safety person on your premises
- Ensure all of your staff fully trained with complete and up to date training records
Our Health and Safety Consultants are highly qualified, based around the UK and have a wealth of experience across a rage of industries. For a tailored quotation on how to reduce the risk and improve compliance within your business contact us today on 01527 571611.